2013年9月19日星期四

Canine Bladder Stones

Pages (Pet Health)” Update 2/24/2012: “Paw Card” Pet Tracker iPhone App Information, Pet MD iPhone Apps; Update 2/23/2012: Rabies Clinic Schedule, Bladder Stone Information


Having my first experience with these “stones;” I never realized just how common they are.  I’ve had “children” with tumors, cancers, trauma from cars and death from old age.  I even lost one years ago, to Parvovirus.  The idea of bladder stones, had never crossed my mind; and I really can’t think of anyone that has experienced this “new experience.”


My “son” started off with signs of difficult urination (no signs of pain).  I took him to see a veterinarian; and through urinalysis, determined he had a Urinary Track Infection (UTI).  The veterinarian prescribed antibiotics for 10 days.  After the antibiotic routine there was no improvement!  The veterinarian had X-rays taken, which revealed my “son” had bladder stones, a few which were blocking his urethra, so he could not urinate, except for what could “leak” past the stones.


Of course surgery became necessary!  Necessary for ME that is.  Not being aware of the effect of bladder stones, I did not know they can cause life-threatening problems in canines (and people).  So again for me, surgery was not an option, but a necessity to save “my son’s” life.


The X-ray also revealed that the bladder was a lot bigger than it should be, which in turn was putting pressure on the intestines; adding difficulty in defecation too.  Keep in mind, that this “child” has not been able to properly relieve his bladder for two weeks.  The veterinarian after the X-ray, had me take “my child” and X-rays to another animal hospital for immediate catherization, and scheduling for surgery.


False Hope!  After arriving at the other animal hospital (and leaving him), they called with good news (NOT).  During the catherization process, they initially thought the stones had passed and surgery might not be necessary.  No such luck!  What was discovered, was the stones had not passed; but had been “pushed back” into the bladder.  Which really, is what they try to do before surgery anyway.


A new X-ray was taken, and based upon it, surgery was performed.  The prognosis was promising; however I was in the operating room, when he came out of the anesthesia.  I won’t do that again!  He let out the most blood curdling yelps, whelps, and hollers I had ever heard from any animal.  I actually felt my heart skip a beat, (or two or three).  The veterinarian assured me, the “outburst,” was due to disorientation from the anesthesia rather than pain.  I think he realized I wasn’t convinced!


Again as luck would have it, I was allowed to bring “my son” home.  But the X-ray machine wasn’t working, and they could not confirm they had retrieved all the stones.  His urinary flow was good, spirits good, so we brought him home.


Around 9:45 p.m., while observing his “relief” he acted strange and walked to the far end of the yard (as far away as he could get).  I saw him tuck his head towards his groin, and immediately knew something was wrong.  As I picked him up, I realized he was covered in blood from face to tail.  His suture had broken, exposing his insides.
We called the veterinarian’s emergency number, wrapped up the “gaping hole,” and took off for the hospital again.


If any police are reading this, I will deny we made it from the house to the hospital in Perry in 36 minutes!  Upon quick examination by the veterinarian, he said he would have to keep him, clean out things, and close him up, which of course required more anesthesia.  After the “repair,” the veterinarian called, said he was doing well; but he wanted to keep him for observation for a day or two.  Instead of a “single line suture” he placed individual sutures, and staples.


The veterinarian called this morning, and said “my son” started out fine; however while relieving himself his urine flow “just stopped.”  Another X-ray revealed several stones were blocking his urethra, and the whole surgical procedure  would have to be performed again.  This makes me angry!  Not the treatment, but the trauma.  We treat all our pets like royalty; yet we see so many pets that are neglected and abused by people that (in my opinion) don’t deserve pets, yet it’s “our baby” going through all this again.  Please, do NOT read into that; because I wouldn’t wish this experience on anyone!


The veterinarian said “it was their fault;” because of the X-ray machine.  To be honest, I am not interested in assigning blame for this.  I am more interested in (for those that believe) canine karma, and what this little dog did in a past-life to deserve it.


This issue has really taken a bite in me.  For those interested, I will create a “page” about this issue and others.  Right now, I’m tired.  So please come back and review this post for updates.  As I update links and information for the “Pages” section (located on the right under the Quick Links), I will update this post to let you know new information has been posted.


I also need to point out, I have the utmost respect for veterinarians; especially ours.  I know they are “experts” in their field; but also realize they can only diagnose what they see in the animals behavior, and what we as parents observe, and tell them.  If your pets are doing, or acting differently no matter how trivial it seems, let your veterinarian know.  It could save your pet’s life!


If you would like to share pet health information on this blog, let me know.


没有评论:

发表评论